Tarrent's Café logo image

HISTORY


f8ab36d4.tarrants-drug-co.jpgLong known as Tarrant's, 1 West Broad Street is located at the corner of Broad and Foushee Streets. In the 1800's, this area of Broad Street experienced many changes. Most significantly after the April 1865 evacuation fire, damaged Main Street businesses moved to Broad Street as the city rebuilt. The very width of the street provided a central area for transportation that was key to Richmond's recovery. In 1883, 1 West Broad Street became a drugstore owned by Harrison and Pierce. In 1905, it was taken over by William G. Tarrant, who started Tarrant Drug Company.7cec8d70.meyers.jpg This corner drug store sold glasses and all kinds of medicinal remedies. Physicians could prescribe and purchase remedies on site. After Tarrant's death in 1961, the drug store was taken over by his son Bill until 1987.

Today, Tarrant's Cafe is bringing upscale but affordable neighborhood service to Richmond's community.